Thursday, April 6, 2017

Rhizome Planting Day Pictures

Sorry for the gap in updates, I am sorry for the panic that I caused for my 3 total readers (hey family!.  The Hops certainly did arrive, and I proceeded with staking the twine guides and planting the rhizomes. Now here are some pictures, look at them, enjoy.

I said in py last "Planting Day" post, that I cut a notch into the sides of my stakes and then tied a clove hitch fitted into that notch.  It is my hope that the short stakes will hold in the ground with the weight of the full plant, which I have read can become quite heavy.

Who is more excited, me to find my hops arriving, or Ivy to look see what is under the chair cushion?


The variety and number of rhizomes.   All the way from sunny California.


I found some old tile in my garage.  Some sunny yellow spray paint and a black marker will do nicely for outdoor labels.











I am thinking that the yellow tiles will stand out once there is some real green growth coming through the straw.


The completed trellis.  It will be fun to have a huge green tent full of fruit and vegetables in the back yard during the hottest part of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Trellis Design, Spring Hop Shoots, Cover Crops Emerging.

Welcome Back!  Happy Spring 2018! The project is alive and well.  Much to my surprise, all 20 of my hops have sprung back to l...