Saturday, July 15, 2017

Preview- Rookie Mistakes

It has been a long time since my last update folks. The hops are still growing strong. A new article is coming soon, I promise.  I will be writing about some hard truths I have come to understand in this first year of the Elgin Hops Project.  

The following are some of the topics I will be covering: Severe storms destroying grain crops, trellis improvement, finding out that planting cover crops which grow to 4 feet in 2 months right next to a diagonally climbing hops plant is a bad idea, learning about patience, the importance of planning for planting season, how easy it is for watermelon to get choked out by forage turnips, the value of knowing just how high certain cover crops can grow, learning some more about patience, reflections on the age-old question that plagues persons who turn 30, "Ugh...what the hell am I doing?"
No matter how many mistakes I have made this first year, all of the hops are alive, growing, and my soil is happier now that when we started.
Thanks for following along!

-EHP


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Trellis Design, Spring Hop Shoots, Cover Crops Emerging.

Welcome Back!  Happy Spring 2018! The project is alive and well.  Much to my surprise, all 20 of my hops have sprung back to l...